Thursday, July 2, 2015

Almost Two Weeks In - Nova Scotia

Hanging your lobsters was recommended by a vintage recipe we found; keeps the meat from getting water-logged.
Greetings from Nova Scotia!  We've been here a little over a week, and clearly time has gotten a little away from me.  While the image above depicts a sunny day, we've been having rather cool weather and a few rainy days.  It's only starting to get above 20C/70F during the day.  It's fine as we have plenty of things to busy ourselves with, like puzzles.
We finished this puzzle in about two days.  However, we'd sorted the pieces the last time we were here so a lot of the grunt work of starting a puzzle was done.  That doesn't mean it was easy.  We've already finished another one so we bought two more when we went into New Glasgow a few days ago.

We're working (yes, really - and it's good), crafting, reading, eating, and just letting our lives slow down a bit.  I finished Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking the first week.  The book is from the Chester Newsies Lending Library (also known as The Artists' Newstand).  I'll be bringing it back when we return if you want to borrow it.  It's a really good book.  I happen to love Joan Didion's writing.

I have another book on the go (read-in-bed category), which I'm pretty meh about - Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indridason.  It's a mystery set in Iceland, which I got from my mother-in-law when she was getting rid of books.  I'll finish it, but I have to say,  I don't really care about any of the characters, and this is a book where's there's a battered wife, a junkie daughter in a coma, and a couple of others one might feel for.  Meh.  The other books that I'm dipping in and out of at will are Consider the Oyster by M.F.K. Fisher, which is great, and Writing Past Dark by Bonnie Friedman.  Both are more or less collections of essays so maintaining a narrative thread isn't important.

I brought supplies for four knitting projects and two sewing projects (both Alabama Chanin things - one is the sampler quilt and the other is beading I need to do at the bottom of a finished skirt).

We're headed into Halifax (the big city!) tomorrow for a friend's opening at a gallery.  I'm excited to try a restaurant I've read about and stay at an iconic Halifax hotel.  Plus the farmers' market is on Saturday, which we'll definitely hit.

We really feel at home here.  People don't really know what it's like until they get here, and when they do, they never forget it.  Happy summer!

1 comment:

  1. Lord Nelson Hotel is my iconic hotel guess. Gallery?? Restaurant?? There are two farmers' markets: Seaport and the Brewery locations. Each has its own vibe and offerings. Visit both if you have time.

    ReplyDelete