Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Natchez Trace: May 19th or This Is What It Sounds Like When Quads Cry

Our last day on the Trace - it was foggy and cool in the morning, but it quickly cleared up and turned sunny and warm.

It was mostly a riding day, with lots of hills.  I really put the quads to the test, and thankfully, they didn't fail me...although they hurt a little.  I guess that's to be expected.
Elementary school kids on an annual death march, I mean, fun walk.
Not even on the map!  War of 1812 Memorial .   Amazingly well-written and error-free!

The view from the double arch bridge, where we didn't see the double arches; I think they were saved for the drivers below.  Typical.
A bummer was that there was no 444 mile marker at the end of the Trace; in fact, there was no sign at the actual end of the Trace, it just dumped you onto a highway.  A sign signifying drivers from the north were entering the Trace was some four to five miles in already.  A bit anticlimactic, if you ask me  (Oh National Park Service, please ask me what I think.  Please.)

So I took a photo of this marker, just off the Trace and on the highway...
...in the wrong direction, which my father took us for 2.5 miles.  Yes, an additional 5 miles - just for fun.  I don't know if that was what Faye had in mind when she thought our trip was going to be a great father-daughter experience.  It was pointless to be mad for too long; we just ground our way through some ass-traffic on Highway 100.  Sure, the signs said "Share the road," but the drivers said, "Not interested."  Eventually, though, we got to my friends' place in Nashville (had to find the greenway/bike route between a Target and a Steinmart - nice!) and off our bikes.  The Trace portion of the program is over.  Onto the next portion - stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. almost choked on a smarties with you Death March joke!

    ReplyDelete