Monday, May 26, 2014

Corvettes, Caves, and Bourbon

We left Bowling Green and made our way deeper into Kentucky.  Robert, our Warm Showers host, rode with us for awhile and came to the Corvette Museum with us.  My dad and I were pretty much just interested in the older models.




But look! Schwimm Corvette bikes!  Check out the brake cable on the one in front.


Even Corvettes, in museums, get flat tires.  I don't think it was part of the display because we saw a number of other cars with flat to semi-flat tires.

In February of this year, a sinkhole destroyed a number of cars displayed in the museum's skydome.  Kentucky & Tennessee have a lot of sinkholes.  It's kind of funny, if you ask me.   You can watch the security camera footage of the sinkhole here.

They pulled the cars from wreckage and put them on display.  These are just a couple to give you an idea.


Robert rode away shortly thereafter,  and my father and I continued our ride.  It was hot and hilly, and we were quite happy to come across this place for lunch -

Yes, there is a place called Pig, Kentucky.  And the Porky Pig Diner had one of the best catfish sandwiches I've had yet.

It was a touring day.   We'd planned on being able to stop and check things out along the way, and when we got to Mammoth Cave National Park, we decided to take the two-hour Domes & Dripstones tour.  Our planning was great as it started to rain just as we headed underground.  We went down about 258 feet below the surface and got to see a number of great caves and passageways.  It was a great tour.



It would've been a great end to the day, but we had a bit more riding to do to get to Bardstown - the bourbon capital of the world!!!!  Unfortunately, we encountered another Corvette along the way, one that passed us three times, the third time giving us barely 6 inches of space.  A red Corvette with a Florida license plate - I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

We rode into town and made a beeline for the Heaven Hill Distillery.  I thought we'd gotten there with plenty of time, but I didn't realize we'd switched time zones!  I hate to say it, but I sulked a bit throughout the display center because a) we couldn't take a tour (and this was my only chance to visit a bourbon distillery on this trip) and b) you couldn't taste anything without a tour.  Okay, I say I sulked, but the woman from a couple we talked to said I was pissed.  I know, sulking is not great, but I was actually really depressed.  Thankfully one of the employees felt my deep, deep sadness and gave us a sample (of the most expensive bottle - $400).  Then my dad bought me a bottle of bourbon that can only be gotten at Heaven Hill, and I bought a cheaper one to share - hah!  

1 comment:

  1. Corvettes rock. Corvette drivers - not so much.

    ReplyDelete