Monday, May 27, 2013

We Own the Night - Nike Run

Despite my other experience registering (and then not) for another women-only run, I registered for the  We Own the Night run.  Hosted/sponsored/set-up by Nike, it seemed like a great way to finish my time Berlin and up my running distance.  It's been awhile since I've done a 10K.

If I were to give this run a score, it'd be a 6 or 6.5.  Here are some of the factors:

Firstly, I lost my chip (which was a €6 disposable chip - another issue (disposable chip)) but was able to get another at the start; however, none of my data was recorded.  Now, if the young lady (makes me sound old) said something to the effect of "it won't work," then she should've directed me back to the chip dude, and I could've gotten my money back.  Instead I paid €12 for no data.  Although I wasn't doing this for a personal record, I'm glad I wore my Garmin, which provides time stats.

The course itself was pretty fun.  It went wove through the Strandband Plötzensee, which is basically a lake-side park, so there were dirt trails as well as some asphalt and concrete bits.  The trails, for the most part, were well-lit although there were some stretches where I was concerned about those coming behind me because there were no lights and it was dirt, which means uneven.  We also ran through some kind of military base.  While the run through the garages/storage hangers was cool - projected sound levels, different light installations, etc., - I could've done without the military "I'm on the lame" theme that was present on the helicopter landing pad - the sounds of helicopters, dry ice, and a spot light trained on runners from towers.  Suddenly the run went from "women on a run" to "women on the run."

There was only one water stop, at the 5K mark, and there were no porta-janes along the way.  Ever heard of "runner's trots"?  Evidently not.  Even though there were plenty of woods around, one would've been risking their own "private parts" since there were stinging nettles everywhere (I know, I ran through some).  Thinking about that now makes me cringe.  Yow!

And finally, post-run water and food.  The run started at 8:30pm, so most of us probably ate somewhere around 6pm.  By the end, I was hungry and thirsty.  But to get my water, I had to make my way through security (which didn't allow the ladyfriend entry), and I didn't even look for where the bagels and bananas were (and they probably weren't bagels and bananas, but you know what I mean) since the ladyfriend couldn't come with me (!).  I ended up getting a Snickers bar at the gas station as we made our way to the U-bahn, and yes, it really satisfies (in those kinds of circumstances).

One other note - it has long been a part of my runner's belief system that you do not wear the t-shirt for the run you are doing while you are doing the run.  In other words, finish the race, and then wear the t-shirt.  But in Germany, it seems to be different.  I asked an ex-pat runner about this, and she said that she'd also noticed that a lot of people wear the t-shirt on race day like it's some kind of uniform.  While I like the t-shirt, I still say "no."  Run the race, wear the t-shirt.  Not at the same time.

Nice t-shirt, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment