Saturday, December 12, 2009

Folk Art Coat (or Mrs. Claus for the limited)


Firstly let me say that I'm a little dismayed that I'm putting a) a photo of myself up but mostly b) a photo of myself without makeup.  My partner says I'm too hard on myself, but I have standards, which seem to be slipping during the holiday season...

Anyway, this is one of the warmest coats I own.  I found it at Value Village, and it fit me perfectly from the get-go.  It's definitely an attention-grabber (I find the whole Mrs. Claus/Merry Christmas comments really lack imagination), and now I've found it to be a point of connection.

I wore it last night to the Art Crawl in Hamilton because it was brutally cold.  Stopping in at Mixed Media I ran into a woman who had on a similar coat, and we ended up chatting about them.  I have no idea of the provenance of mine (there's no label), but I've seen variations of them around. The woman with whom I spoke believes they're a type of coat crafted by First Nations' people because she got a comment about hers at the recent Canadian Aboriginal Festival.  If anyone has any information about my coat, I'd be really interested.

Here are some photos of the details:


It's trimmed with some kind of white fur.  I'm generally not a fur-wearing gal (oh, and please don't lecture me here - thanks!), but I loved this coat in all its felt-applique, fur-trimmed coziness.

2 comments:

  1. Who needs makeup with that coat? I personally can't imagine Mrs. Claus or whoever associating herself with the flowers. I mean, there can't be a lot in bloom up there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine an indigenous person associating herself with flowers either. In fact, my mind wants to reject the possibility that this is a first nations inspired design. I'm thinking scandinavian/sami-laplander origin. This is not to bag on your coat, Claudia. Its adorable, but the idea of it being of native design is creating its own proper tension in my mind.

    ReplyDelete