Sunday, November 29, 2009

Let's hear it for holiday season sanity!


My friend Melissa is opening a pop-up store for the month of December in Toronto.   Melissa has a fabulous eye, and I've been lucky enough to see some of her textile goodies already.  I'm definitely going to check it out.  Perhaps I'll find some materials for more projects!  (Just what I need - more projects).

As I've mentioned, I've taken the Handmade Pledge for the holidays (with a small percentage saved for music & books) and have already been busy in the craftory.  I'm starting some socks tonight and in a few days will finish weaving in the ends and blocking a sweater for a lucky recipient (hopefully there will be a photo).

Sometimes people mistake making things with being cheap.  That's a mistake because as anyone who crafts knows - materials aren't free, and there's no way you can put a price on the time and love put into making something special for someone.  Sure there are some great things to buy but to know that someone thought of you while they made something is pretty special.  I've been guilty of low-craft-esteem in the past but have slowly come to value my own work.  That's a gift we should all give ourselves this holiday season.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you: most people don't realize the amount of work there is in craft and that's a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an excellent store. Looking over your blog, I have to say, I never hear your actual voice in my head like I thought I would. I came to realize that the voice I hear in my head is my own monotone voice reading your words, which is pretty funny. Anyway, I for one, always love anything you either make or buy. As long as a gift seems like it's actually intended for the recipient, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe my inner Claudia has a stronger voice in my head. Or I need it to be Claudia in my head, the voice of sanity and reason in my chaotic interiority, but I totally "hear" her voice, nonetheless.

    For me its hard to value my craftiness and creative expression,especially as a beginner, because I always feel plenty of people have done it before and better. I can BUY a better looking version, often cheaper and that is defeating. Hell, I had to get over that just to BEGIN to create for myself. I haven't figured out how to share with the world yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah but you are going to get better and those beginning bits of yours will be something that you and your recipients will look back on in fondness, like, remember when you did these wonderful things? And now look! If you want to share with the world, use the crafts as impromptu gifts that are not commemorating a holiday. Everyone appreciates an unexpected gift!
    I'll send you my address.. ;

    ReplyDelete