Sunday, November 22, 2009

Blog Lesson




Lesson 1:  Strike when inspiration hits - don't wait for the photo.

Friday I had one of those amazingly simple but satisfying days.  I decided to watch a film and just sit on the couch and knit.  It doesn't sound like a momentous occasion, but if you're like me, and often equate television viewing as dead time, it actually meant something.

I watched was "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" -  the film about the making of Wilco's album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.  I love that album and when I hear it I think about how I want my writing (fiction) to sound like that - I want it to have that kind of resonance and discord.  Anyway, the movie was really satisfying and to carry that energy forward as well as continue to indulge my whims, I went for a run (in lieu of going out and buying a pack of smokes) and listened to the album.

What does this have to do with the photo?  Well, I had this idea of photographing my knitting and then it turned into a still life/portrait of me: knitting, the DVD, the December issue of Vogue (which arrived that day as well), a running shoe, a cocktail.  But as we know, I'm unhappy with my photo skills and so asked my partner to take the photo.  One thing led to another and now it's Sunday and the idea seems stupid.  So, I decided to say the hell with it and just took a photo of my window sill to give a little visual interest to this blog.

The lesson learned?  Just write about it.  I'm a writer and I should know better.  The photos will come, and they'll get better.

1 comment:

  1. Your pragmatism is something we all depend on Claudia. Thank gawd you were able to snap out of it. Besides, your photo is lovely.

    ReplyDelete